I saw this recipe for peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal scones and I was ready to eat them off the screen. Check out the original recipe from. I was out of breakfast treats after finishing off my last Nutella Oatmeal Breakfast cookie so I decided that it was time. With my stomach growling, I pulled out all the ingredients. I thought it would be a good reason to use up two open peanut butters since we had just opened the third container the other day!!
I mixed all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then, I cut in the butter with my fork against the side of the bowl. This had the added benefit of smooshing up any clumps in the brown sugar too because mine was a little clumpy for some reason. I had so many bags and I think that one got pushed to the bottom over some newer ones. The good thing is that I go through all my baking ingredients so quickly that it doesn't matter :)
I scooped out the peanut butter into my measuring cup. I had a little more peanut butter because I was clearing out the two containers so I just scooped the rest into the cup which is why it is overflowing :) In the liquid measuring cup, I put the milk and added the egg yolk. Save the egg white in another container (wait and see pictures below).
I mixed the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients. It mixed up to a really thick batter. I mixed in the chocolate chips and it made a easy to handle dough.
I flatten out the scones on my baking sheet and then covered with the egg whites. They make the scones shiny.
I shook about 1 tbsp of granulated sugar across the top to coat. It soaks in quickly and it is really up to your taste. The first time that I made scones, I used the coarse sugar and my husband wasn't a fan.
After they are baked, they come out nice and brown. Since the dough was already scored, it is super easy to cut and lift out with a spatula.
Try one for your self soon!!! My husband and mother in law said that they were amazing so I know that it wasn't just me. These were amazing and really hit the spot. I wish that I could make them more often but we don't have that much peanut butter and if I made these, my son wouldn't be having his peanut butter sandwiches :) Check out the great sugar topping!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Scones
· 2 C all-purpose flour
· 1 C quick oats
· ⅓ C brown sugar
· 1 tsp baking powder
· 1 tsp baking soda
· ¼ tsp salt
· ⅓ C unsalted butter or margarine, cold and cut into pieces
· ¾ C milk
· 1 egg, separated
· ½ C peanut butter
· ⅔ C chocolate chips
· sugar (granulated or coarse), for sprinkling tops
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in cold butter, using a pastry blender or two forks, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and milk. Add egg mixture and peanut butter to dry ingredients. Using a spatula gently incorporate wet ingredients to dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Turn dough out unto prepared cookie sheet. Pat dough into an 8 inch round. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar (or coarse sugar). Score into triangles.
5. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until just golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
6. Allow scones to cool for 5 minutes before re-slicing the scones to separate.
Shared on Homemade Mondays